2.16.2006

Spain Update

I am finding this harder than I imagined to actually keep up with a blog. At my house, I am only able to access the internet roughly once a week.... I have to constantly wait for an open wireless signal. If only it were easier. I have internet access at school, but my days are usually filled with class, reading, homework and exploring Madrid and the surrounding areas. I have also been keeping a travel journal for my travel writing class. If time allows, I will take select writings from it and put them online.
Anyway, Madrid constantly amazes me with the plethora of activities to do. On Tuesday night I went to a Real Madrid game with a bunch of the other students in my program. They played against Real Zaragoza, but lost in the end. We sat up in the 7th tier, roughly midfield, and had a great view of everything. I didn´t think that I liked soccer, or futball, until that night. With over 85,000 people crowding the giant stadium, my enthusiasm for the game was fueled immensly by their excited cheers and overall passion for the game. At the game I sat next to a Spaniard and he explained much of the game to me. He pointed out Ronaldo, who is one of the world´s best futball players, and David Beckham. I expected more from Beckham considering his popularity. It seemed like every time he touched the ball, it resulted in a change of possession. I can´t wait for another game.
Last Friday I went on a day trip to Segovia, which is roughly an 1 1/2 from Madrid. While there I saw a cathedral, the best preserved Roman Aquaduct in the world, and a tremendous castle. In the castle, my friend Lindsey and I took the medieval helmets off the knights and tried them on. Luckily we didn´t get caught, but we did get some great photos. You can check them out on the picture website that´s listed a few blogs down.
I´ve have been reading a lot here. The weather is amazing and it is a great excuse to be outdoors. I read my first Ernest Hemingway book, Fiesta: The Sun Also Rises. It was amazing and I am excited to read another... there are so many to choose from. His writing style is simple, yet incredibly descriptive and it drags you into the story. I enjoyed reading small bits at a time because it would constantly bring me into the world he had created. Not that I have any desire to escape the reality that I am living, but it is always nice to see something different.
Spring break is all set. Yesterday, I booked a trip to Tunisia... Looks like this kid is going to Africa. The trip is for 8 days and 7 nights in an amazing hotel directly on the beach. I got an amazing deal because it is so cheap there. While in Tunisia, I will be able to explore via camel back, jet ski, swim, parasail, relax, and so on. I know it is weeks away, but I just can´t wait.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Dave
What a cultural experience!
And..your Africa trip...oh, you poor kid. A resort on the beach? Parasailing? Camelback? It's a tough life, but I suppose someone has to enjoy it?

Love you buddy
Mom

2/22/2006 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Amazing Counters
Avon Cosmetics