1.26.2006

Germany

We took a long ass bus ride to Germany. I couldn´t sleep on the bus, but as soon as we got to Deutsche Bank in Frankfurt, I fell asleep during the lecture. I really didn´t want to be rude, but I couldn´t help it. Long nights and jet lag continued to plague me. While we only staying in Frankfurt long enough for the Deutsche Bank info session, I was glad to leave because the entire city appeared dead. As it turns out, most people live outside of Frankfurt and travel into the city to work during the days. The night life is non existent.

About an hour later, we arrived in a nice little town called Heidelberg. It is located directly on River Neckar. Walking around the streets, I realized that Heidelberg was exactly how I pictured a small German Town . Everything was made of brick and there were beer taverns on every corner. It´s too bad that the food wasn´t as good as the beer. Regardless, I did find some inexpensive food.

We stayed at the Perkeo hotel, which was right in the center of Heidelberg (I think). At night a bunch of us went to the local Hard Rock Cafe, which supposedly had no relation to the chain of Hard Rock Cafes, but they may have been pulling our legs a little with that one. From there, we checked out a local bar called Alex because that´s where all the local students go to. Turns out that was truth. After, we got some cheap Kebabs from a middle eastern late night restaruant for like 3 Euros...Great night overall.

The next day we went to the Mercedes-Benz truck production plant and learned about the DaimlerCHrysler merger. We had a full tour of the entire plant and watched every different production step from unloading of materials to the completion of a truck. It was, by far the most well orchestrated tour of the trip. From there, we went back to Heidelberg and I walked up to Heidelberg castle. First experience at a castle, and a good one at that. The place was gigantic and it was on a top of a very high hill that was a bitch to climb, but I was ready for the Trek.

After the castle, we had housing meetings and scheduling... boring. I found falarfels for €2... thought it was a great deal until I actually ate it. Lots of cabbage soaked in vinegar and dry falarfel. That night we met up with the other Eurovision group and went back to the place called Alex. There weren´t as many people there, but it was fun to be with os many Americans again. Some wierd dude with long hair was smiling at all of us while he drank alone the entire night. The only word to describe him is ´wierd.´ Heidelberg was deffinitely a fun place, but I wouldn´t want to stay for more than two nights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Amazing Counters
Avon Cosmetics